Thursday, February 21, 2013

A slice of Pi


Pi is famously calculated to trillions of digits—but how many of them do we really, really need?  Apparently, just 39 will do.

According to a recent article, taking pi to 39 digits allows you to measure the circumference of the observable universe to within the width of a single hydrogen atom. Sure, you could use more digits , but it's not really worth the effort.  And that means that on a day-to-day basis, you can ignore far more of those pesky digits.  (although, I still have to wonder how they really know.  There's not a measuring tape you can buy at Home Depot to confirm some pretty hairy math).  

And going 1 step further, 3.1 digits gets you to a 95% confidence interval.

Wow, John.  Fascinating.  What exactly does that have to do with your social service leave experience? 

Great question.

I was talking to a colleague back in the big house the other day and sharing my reflection that what we think is a streamlined approach There, still needs to be trimmed way back Here.  A smaller organization can’t tolerate waste when trying to remove waste.  There’s no spare capacity.  The phones still ring.  Someone has to answer them.  When coming to a (much) smaller organization, it is obvious there still needs to be a lighter weight approach.  Often 20% of the approach seems to be capable of getting 80% of the value.  More lean.  Less precision.  Same great taste.  Less filling. 

And once you realize that, the obvious next question is, “Why isn’t that approach good enough most of the time?”  Sometimes ‘close’ is good enough.   Sometimes, of course, it isn’t.  The trick is to be aware of the opportunity and decide what you need.

I just keep wondering how often I’ve fallen into the trap of “that’s just the way it’s done”, and don’t stop to ask myself first “How much do I really need?”   Sometimes I do.  At least for a while, I know I’ll think about that almost every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment